Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What's the Trophy for Winning Spring Training ? Yeah, I Thought So.

I can't stand the Oakland A's. I liked their old owner, The Veeckian Charlie O. Finley, and I like the fact that they represent a much maligned blue collar town, but I always seem to hate a few of the players on their roster. That doesn't mean I don't think these were great catches by Josh Reddick. Welcome to Victory Charade. Nice catch. The only other thing I like about you is that you're not Colby Rasmus.

But these don't surpass even my second all time favorite catch, by a guy who went on to play for my all time least favorite team. Now he plays for the Mets. I'm pretty ambivalent about the Mets, but at least they're not the Yankees.

That was better for a number of reasons, like Verlander was on the mound, and the game counted. Not some spring training nonsense.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I was just talking to my Dad on Sunday that my earliest recollection of a sporting event was my Kindergarten teacher wheeling in a TV so she (and us kids) could watch one of the games of the '72 Tigers vs. A's playoff game. Have hated the A's ever since to a certain extent. Was this the cause of your dislike as well? We are similar in our sports background, first Klammer, now the A's. Great writing btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm having fun with it. And a resounding YES to the '72 playoffs being the origin of my dislike.When Bert Campanaris threw that bat at Lerrin LaGrow I started hating them. It was the second maddest I ever saw my grandfather.I softened a bit when Jason Giambi signed a ball for a neighbor kid I took to a game at the old stadium, but that didn't last long. Thanks for reading my rants. I'm hoping eventually Google will start sending me gum money once a month.

      Delete