Friday, December 20, 2013

Much Like Little League, I Just Couldn't See The Pitch

Call me naive


…but I thought Detroit would have an MLS team by now. Like a decade ago "by now". And I had no idea I was such a geocentric bastard when it comes to American sports. I have a favorite Premier League team-Tottenham Hotspur ( COYS!), a favorite La Liga team kinda-I prefer Barcelona, which is kinda easy, because they have the best player on the planet and their arch rivals, Real Madrid have the whiniest player on the planet (see my inaugural blog if you don't know who that is), but every other team I like is within a don't-have-to-stop-to-piss drive from my house.
And I've tried to "pick" a team in MLS to support, but I just can't seem to do it. I appreciate certain players and certain team's styles of play, and I love the rabid fan bases in the Pacific Northwest-Seattle and Portland-and I'd love top go to a game there, but it's obvious I won't have a team, my team,until they grant a franchise to Detroit. Everyone in Detroit knows that the world flocks here to try to get rich off of pictures of a boarded up Wendy's on 7 Mile, and this is where the trust fund handlebar mustaches  gravitate because they can get a 7000 square foot loft on Grand River for less than the price of the racing bicycle they traded in for the vintage lime green Schwinn, but somehow MLS has managed to avoid us. And no, before someone starts howling, I don't expect a soccer stadium to be tax payer funded, nor do I expect a parade down Woodward if we get one (unless of course they win an MLS Cup, because Detroit does love winners and parades for winners and an excuse to drink openly on the streets like some kind of frostbite Mardi Gras). I just want a team I can get behind. I dig the shit out of DCFC, but due to circumstances only semi in my control, I was temporarily living in NOLA when they started and I kinda feel like a bandwagon hopper. And honestly, I thought if MLS didn't want us, that no way in hell a smaller league would. Maybe we don't need MLS. Maybe I just answered my own question. I guess I do have a hometown club to root for. I just gotta remember not to fuck up and wear my blue and white Spurs scarf to the matches.

2 comments:

  1. Jimmy, If you're ever out in the PNW, I'll take you to a Sounders game. Pretty fucking insane. Inside Seahawk Stadium, 40-65K strong...good times! Danzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched on TV. There was a great quote from Twellman on opening night "If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was in Europe right now"

      Delete