Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Moral of the Story is Keep Your Hands to Your Own Stick

In the 90's I was bartending in The Shelter "back bar". Not that fictionalized Shelter in the Eminem stroke flick "8 Mile", but the real alt rock dance and live music dungeon buried under St. Andrew's Hall. Most of the people who drank at my bar had no interest in the music, they just came for the cheap drinks and to meet someone. I had to entertain them, and since I don't know how to make balloon animals, I showed hockey fights.
There are better videos of more "traditional" melees, but this is one of the craziest spectacles in American sports, and it happened December 23rd,1979-thirty four years ago yesterday.
Peace on Earth and Goodwill towards men unless they're wearing penny loafers
Enjoy. Merry Christmas, everybody. Thanks for reading Victory Charade.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I never heard of one lawsuit. The courtroom proceedings would dominate Sportscenter if that happened today.

      Delete
  2. One of the single greatest games in NHL history. Don't mess with Terry O. or Peter McNab, Just don't. Everyone knows that. Well, everyone but one guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably considers it his Warhol minutes and is showing it to the grandkids today. Probably remembers how much the shoes cost him. Would be a great subject of a "where are they now?"…and Happy Birthday Fish!

      Delete
  3. 34 Years later and Bruins STILL punks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're Original Six. And they were Ray Borque's team. Until something happens between them and The Wings, I can't bring myself to dislike 'em. Because I don't hate any Original Six team except Chicago and Toronto and I only kinda dislike the Rangers so I'm pretty clear on…not much. But I don't hate Boston.

    ReplyDelete