Tuesday, January 21, 2014

First 7500 Fans Get a Free Game Used Sweatband, Must Provide Own Sweat

Got some Wings tickets from a buddy of mine tonight. Wings vs. The St. Louis Blues.I have almost fonder memories of the Wings thrashing the Blues than I do of seeing a few of my babysitters naked. My first live playoff game was against the Blues, and no Wings fan that was awake will ever forget Yzerman's goal in overtime against 'em. Watch it now and tell your grandkids you were there.
Nice to see Vladdie Konstantinov as part of that celebration, too.
I was a stagehand at St. Andrew's Hall the night that happened, and Malaka at the Detroiter Bar let us drink way past last call while we watched the game, until a Detroit cop walked by the mostly glass facade and gave a mellow version of the cutoff sign that Richard Sherman got flagged for Sunday night.
Our whole crew sprinted for cars and I believe I was the only one who lived close enough to catch the goal live on TV, maybe 2 minutes after I walked through the door.
Tonight was different. Tonight was like watching community college students register for classes when all that are left are Monday morning at 8AM. The Wings looked like they were skating in Brie. Jimmy Howard couldn't stop a shot with a warehouse full of Jenny McCarthy books.
                                                  Thanks, Jimmy. I need the views
                                                    way more than she does.
It was Jimmy Howard Bobblehead night, Jimmy's mug was on the tickets, and Jimmy got yanked*. If this Jimmy had paid the $63 face value on those tickets, he would have felt like he got yanked hard. (Did I just refer to myself in the third person ? Is Rickey Henderson gonna be mad at me ?)
I talked to a guy in line for the pisser who was down from Tawas ( a couple hour drive at least) for the game. It made me sadder than when Leah Remini got chunky.
I know every game isn't gonna be a gem,and Detroit isn't even in the same conference as the Blues anymore. But that team needs to put out way more effort than they showed tonight. Assuming that guy and his 3 friends were in our section, that's $252 dollars before you gas up the car to make it to the Joe and if each guy buys a beer that's another $72, a pint of blood and one shift of driving the Nemo's shuttle.
Helm, Dekeyser, Nyquist, Jurco and Abdelkader skated. Bertuzzi was okay too, though he was on the ice shorter than shrimp cocktail at John Goodman's house. Zetterberg, who I love, took a stupid penalty late in the game and they also squandered a long 5 on 3. I don't wanna hear about injuries, Olympic preparation, or goddamn free pizza tosses for section 219.
People deserve more effort out of the Wings than this. A video montage of Jon Casey's 1996 golf outings and free gas back to Tawas would have been a way better entertainment value.

* No one near me saw any visible Howard injury, though they are reporting it's a knee recurrence.I would never make fun of a player's injury, but don't hold me to that if Claude Lemieux is ever on "Diving with The Stars".
                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment